Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Nicholas Carr Response:

It is easy to blow this article off as an example of paranoid exaggeration straight from Orwell's 1984. But after doing some research and watching this video about the school board in Texas changing their textbooks,

  
I have realized that this is certainly an issue that should be discussed and taken into consideration. I am in no way stating that what the author warned will happen in the near future, I am more concerned about the implications in regard to schools and advertisements in the next 20 or so years. Leaders of countries have always been able to practically do whatever they want, that is not a concern of mine. As the author states, I feel like we should take serious note of how advertisements will weave themselves into the future of books. The wary internet user should already be realizing how much advertising has crept into our lives and personal information. In all, despite my initial skepticism, I do agree a great deal with what the author warns. The transition to digital books may not occur in the next ten or even thirty years, but I do feel like with its arrival will come a new age of advertising (and who knows what else).

No comments:

Post a Comment